“Khan was really concentrating and was acting aggressive towards Charlotte and kept trying to nudge her but it wasn’t working, so he grabbed her by the back of the nappy and threw her more than a metre,” Ms Svilicic said. “If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it.”

It happened in an instant, but Khan had actually placed himself between the toddler and a very poisonous snake. The dog was bitten in the foot and collapsed. They rushed him to the vet where he was administered anti-venom and because the snake wasn’t able to inject a large amount of venom, Khan survived the ordeal. Now, he’s a hero and the family plans on showering him with the love and affection he so clearly deserves.

According to Catherine, he’ll even get to live a luxurious life from now on. “If Khan wants a gold bowl, Khan gets it. We owe him for the rest of his life,’’ she said.

Has your family pet ever saved you? We’d love to hear about it in the comments!

Click on the link below to see the full story! Please like and share this video of amazing animal heroes.